Sunday, November 30, 2008

Elvis is in the building

Hi. I don't think we've met before. My name is Elvis the Elf, so please don't confuse me with that polyester-wearing-sideburn-having singer turned actor. My job each year is to drop in on my family to see how they are doing in the days leading up to Christmas. I got assigned my family last year after a Rochambeau match with Chris the Elf. He was all PAPER! and I was all ROCK! He got the Norman Rockwell family and I got....well, these guys.

The Dad's name is Lance and the Mom is Paige. The kids are Morgan (5.5 years) and Bennett (19 months). I first met them last year when the little guy was not even walking. You should see him now, he's all over the place. And they both really like to talk. And I do mean talk!

Late Saturday night, news came into the North Pole that they had already gotten their tree. Already?? I mean, it isn't even December yet. I still hadn't found anyone to work my shift at the toy factory, making wooden blocks (I was demoted from making trains when they refused to roll forwards, only backwards). Santa told me not to worry about it, apparently demand for wooden blocks isn't what it used to be. So, I got myself ready and headed for their house on Saturday night.

I remembered that Morgan really likes to watch TV, so to be sure she saw that I was there, I decided to position myself on top of their TV. Imagine my surprise when the boy was the first one awake and noticed me right away. I tell you, time sure does fly! He pointed to me and said, "Da". I wasn't sure if he remembered me or not from last year, but I think I must have made quite the impression, because he looked at me and smiled! Shortly after he got up, Morgan woke up and it was almost like she was expecting me! She came out and sat on the couch next to Paige and pointed me out right away! She was really happy to see me also!

Before I knew it, Paige put on Christmas carols and everyone was busy pulling boxes out and putting ornaments on the tree. I saw two new ornaments right away -- they were the first to go on the tree. Apparently, they've been traveling WITHOUT me. I mean, why can't they go on these cool vacations in December? There was this one that was a starfish, and I'm pretty sure I read the word Kauai on there. I believe that's in Hawaii. Then there was this other one that was a sand dollar that said Key West on it. Two beach trips?? Can't an Elf work on his tan also??


Morgan really seemed to get into the Christmas spirit this year, really enjoying decorating. Bennett was really getting into the tree. It was pretty funny watching the family try to decorate the tree together, and also trying to keep the little guy out of the tree. He had many time outs and I'm not sure if this is something I should report to Santa or not. I mean, he is only 19 months old.

Lance is goofier than I remembered. I mean, at one point, he grabbed the camera and started taking pictures of ornaments and then I finally figured out that he was actually taking pictures of his reflection in the ornament.


After the tree was properly trimmed, the kids disappeared and it took me a moment to realize that they were taking naps. Ahh the quiet. I was even able to snooze for a little bit before I was back "on". Morgan is in Kindergarten now and had homework to do. Since Paige was off somewhere, Lance was juggling a precocious toddler and a Kindergartner doing homework.

All in all, everyone had a good first day. I'm a little jet lagged. I hope Lance and Paige go to bed soon so I can make my move and then catch some zzzzz's.

No comments: